Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Deadlines

As publisher of a weekly magazine and a number of books annually, I know the importance of deadlines. There are many for any given piece of writing. But there are writers who just don't get it. They don't realize the importance of meeting deadlines. A day late on a deadline can paralyze a publishing team. When an assignment is accepted, or an agreement is made, part of that agreement includes a pledge by the writer to meet all deadlines. That means not one day late.

I read this recently from prolific author Dennis Hensley (who is also a great speaker/teacher). It may seem over the top but it really makes the point.

“On my office wall at the university where I direct a professional writing program, I have a large sign. It reads: ‘Deadline is a literal, not a figurative term. It means, “Go past this line, and you are dead.”’ I don’t allow papers to be turned in late for any reason. I don’t allow students to show up late for class. (I literally lock the door to the classroom.) The sooner students learn to revere deadlines, the sooner they will be on the road to becoming professional writers.” (“How to Hit Deadlines” by Dr. Dennis E. Hensley, Christian Communicator, April 2010, p. 3.)

I have a quiet way of dealing with writers who don't make deadlines and thus increase our work burden—I don't give them any more assignments.

If you are lucky enough to get an assignment, don't throw away a possible career by being dilatory. Good writing starts with meeting deadlines.